Les Contamines-Montjoie



As mentioned in my previous post, Sunday 14th April was the last day to use up these remaining golden red tickets and the original plan was to head over to Megève but seeing as most of the domain is now closed, a few work colleagues and I headed over to Les Contamines for the day. Nice early start to the day, 7:30am rise, 8:30am pick up, arriving at Les Contamines around 9:30am. We got there just in time, as about 10 minutes into the waiting time stood in the 'Q' that was already formed we looked back to see the 'Q' had extended further and much further. The reason for our early start was due to the weather reporting plenty of sunshine and heat so by midday the snow could and would of turned to slush, I don't think a jacket was required one little bit and we probably could of got away with wearing shorts and a T to be honest. Anyway we reached the top of the mountain via the two lift system and oh my... I've never seen or skied on such good snow, near to perfect. The domain reminded me a little of Le Tour - Domaine de Balme for its wider pistes and openness, it was like exploring and skiing inside a massive crater covered in snow of course.







Personally I think this is an advanced ski area as the blue runs were a tad too steep for my liking and rather long, ongoing or maybe I was just used to much more shorter runs but who am I to judge, eh. I'm hoping that after experiencing these runs I might of advanced my skiing capability and built up some more confidence for the next time I venture on up somewhere local as there is a considerable difference in colour coding.







I'm pleased to have now stepped ski and been down an actual red run all courtesy of the badly directed signs leading us astray, it wasn't so bad after experiencing these blue runs. I still need some professional lessons badly as I'm not happy with my progress, I might be going down all these amazing runs but not in the way I should be by now anyway. I have myself to blame for that, I should of took the one on one lessons when I had the chance to. Never mind, until next year.



This is the after effects of playing on top of mountains, 2000m high above sea level without any form of protection. Not so smiley face.